Mark Pollard teaches us a delicious rice dish that fun and simple to make.
Carolina Gold Rice Pirlau
About 6-7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
2 cups Carolina Gold rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2– 2 cups vegetables; such as
Yellow or zucchini squash, julienne
Cooked green beans
Grape tomatoes, halved or quartered lengthwise
Pencil asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Place chicken or vegetable stock in a large sauce pan over low heat.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan. Sweat until onions have softened and are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat well with the oil. Cook until the rice starts to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and cook, stirring, until wine is almost evaporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Begin adding the warm broth one 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, making sure that all liquid is absorbed before adding additional liquid. Cook the rice until “al dente”. The amount of stock used may vary.
- Add the vegetables and 1 more cup of stock. Stir to combine. Add parmesan cheese and butter. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.