4-6 green apples, small dice
2 stalks celery, small dice
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
Fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup cheese, such as blue, Parmesan, or goat, crumbled
1. Combine the apples, celery, walnuts, and raisins in a large mixing bowl. Toss with some fresh lemon juice so the apples won’t brown.
2. Toss salad with just enough of the bacon cider dressing to coat the apple mixture. Top with the cheese.
3 slices thick cut or 7 slices thinly sliced bacon, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
Olive oil, as needed
1. Place the bacon in a cold medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Do not stir until browning can be seen in the bottom of the pan. Stir and then allow the bacon to finish browning.
2. Meanwhile, whisk all other ingredients, except olive oil, together in a small bowl.
3. When bacon is brown, slowly drizzle the bacon fat and bacon pieces into the vinegar mixture, whisking constantly.
4. If the dressing is not thick enough, continue whisking and slowly drizzle in olive oil, a little at a time, until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.