An Upstate second grader is being honored after helping to get her family out of their home when it caught on fire.
Seven-year-old Emma Davis knew what to do after her family’s house caught fire last week.
“It started downstairs. My daddy woke us up, he started hearing stuff,” Emma said. “It was a lot of smoke.”
She remembered what to do, because she had just been to a fire safety event at Chick-fil-A in Greer, where firefighters taught fire safety, walked her through a smoke house simulation, and showed her what to do..
“You start seeing smoke, you get down and you crawl out of the house and you call 911,” Emma explained. “Because if you’re up high, the smoke will mess up your lungs.”
The Greer Fire Department was so impressed by her bravery, they honored Emma with a certificate of merit at her school. They gave her the award during the Chandler Creek Elementary School’s news – for all the other students to see..
Firefighters hope her classmates also learned from Emma’s story. They say it’s just one example of why teaching fire safety is so important.