SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Fire officials say a gas leak caused an explosion in the boiler room of a penthouse at a Miami-area high-rise, injuring at least four people.
Muria Serrano, public information officer for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, says two people were taken by air to a trauma center.
The explosion happened Friday at the top of a high-rise residence in Sunny Isles Beach, a city about 20 miles north of Miami.
Aerial video showed a heavy police and fire presence in the area.
There are at least four holes on the walls on the top floor of the southeast side of the building. Debris fell to the beach below, as well as onto the pool deck of the Monaco Oceanfront Resort next door.
A large portion of sand on the beach in front of the building was discolored because of the debris.