5-Year-Old Crawled To Save Sleeping Grandmother From Fire

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — Authorities say a 5-year-old boy crawled beneath the smoke filling a California home to alert his sleeping grandmother to a fire, allowing them to escape unharmed.

San Bernardino County officials say smoke woke up the child early Saturday at the home in the Phelan area. He crawled down a hallway to his grandmother’s room and woke her up.

When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke and flames were shooting from all sides of the single-story house. After learning that the family’s Chihuahua didn’t make it out, firefighters went in and rescued the dog from a bathroom.

The fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

A news release says a preliminary investigation found the fire was sparked by a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s