Thanksgiving is right around the corner and there will be lots of food. Some of that delicious food isn’t safe to give your pets who will REALLY want some.
Here is a list of the top 6 things you should not give them according to Pets Best.
Thanksgiving dressing is often made with onions, scallions or garlic. These ingredients are extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause a life-threatening anemia (destruction of the red blood cells). It’s best to avoid feeding any amount of stuffing to pets.
Ham and other pork products can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. Ham tends to be high in fat as well, which can lead to obesity in pets. Even a small amount of ham can contribute a very large amount of calories in a small dog or cat.
3. Turkey Bones
Bones can cause severe indigestion in dogs and cats, potentially causing vomiting and obstructing the bowel. Bones may also splinter and cause damage to the inside of the stomach and intestines. In some cases, turkey bones may even puncture through the stomach and cause a potentially fatal abdominal infection.
4. Mashed Potatoes
While potatoes are safe for pets to eat, mashed potatoes usually contain butter and milk, which can cause diarrhea in pets that experience lactose intolerance. Additionally, some recipes call for onion powder or garlic, which are very toxic to pets.
5. Salads with Grapes/Raisins
There are many salads served at Thanksgiving that include grapes or raisins as ingredients, such as fruit salad, waldorf salad and ambrosia. However, grapes and raisins are very toxic and potentially deadly. Grapes can cause severe, irreversible and sometimes fatal kidney failure in dogs. Be sure to keep all dishes that include grapes and raisins away from pets.
6. Chocolate Pie
While pumpkin pie is the most famous Thanksgiving dessert, many people offer a variety of pies at Thanksgiving, including chocolate pie. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, yet dogs love the smell and taste of it. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Keep chocolate pie and all chocolate desserts out of the reach of pets to prevent an emergency trip to the veterinarian.
If your pets ingest any of these foods this Thanksgiving, be sure to call your veterinarian immediately. Early action may prevent more costly and serious complications from developing. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
Dr. Eva Evans, a veterinarian and writer for Pets Best, a dog insurance and cat insurance agency.