POLK CO., NC – Polk Co. deputies have charged Kwame Fernanders and Quintae Dayrelle Edwards have been charged with 1st degree murder for the shooting death of Destry Horne.
Sheriff Donald Hill says they have a motive for the murder, but don’t want to say what it is right now.
He says the victim was random and they didn’t know him.
The other person of interest, Kayla Lynn Black is still part of the investigation, but has not been charged, said Hill.
A weapon was found in Gainesville and was confirmed to be part of crimes they committed in Florida.
It will be brought to Raleigh to see if it was used in the murder.
Hill says it’s possible that they belong to the same gang that Deontea Mackey belonged to.
Mackey murdered Officer Allen murderer in Greenville in March.
The trio is currently in jail in Gainesville, Florida.
They are being held there on unrelated, but serious charges such as kidnapping, home invasion and grand theft auto.
The sheriff says their crime spree started the night before in Greenville Co. and spanned Greer, Spartanburg, Landrum, Polk, Atlanta and ended in Florida. There will be several charges in multiple states.
The suspects will be extradited back to NC to stand trial.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUNDS ON SUSPECTS
The judicial system let this family down,” said Hill.
That’s because of the suspects’ extensive and serious criminal histories.
He says they should still be in jail.
“I won’t call them people. I’ll call them a bunch of thugs,” said Hill
We did a criminal background check on the two men and this is what we found.
KWAME OBRIAN FERNANDERS
· 9/06/2012 – Assault and battery 3rd deg. – Convicted
· 11/16/2012 – Poss 28G or less Marijuana/ 10G or less hash 1st – Convicted
· 7/02/2013 – Atempt and Conspiracy provisions drug law – Convicted
· 4/17/2014 – Receiving stolen goods > $2,000 – Convicted
· 09/20/2013 – Grand Larceny > $2000 < $10,000 – Convicted
· 9/09/2014 – Carrying weapons on school property – Convicted
QUINTAE DAYRELLE EDWARDS
· 3/03/2010 – Criminal domestic violence 1st offense – Convicted
· 9/13/2010 – Common law robbery, strong arm robbery – Convicted
· 3/02/2011 – Criminal Sexual Conduct 1st degree – Arrested
· 3/02.2011 – Criminal domestic violence 2nd offense – Arrested
· 3/02/2011 – Common law robbery, strong arm robbery – Arrested
· 5/14/2012 – Assault / battery high & aggravated nature – Convicted
· 12/04/2014 – Fail to stop for blue light – Convicted
· 3/13/2014 – Criminal domestic violence 3rd offense – Convicted
· 11/13/2015 – Fail to stop for blue light – Convicted