GREENVILLE (WSPA) – A preliminary autopsy shows the death of a one-year-old girl at a day care was an accident.
The Greenville County Coroner’s Office reports Sydney Ryan Alongio choked while eating lunch at Creative Kids on Sevier Street. The preliminary autopsy result shows the 20-month old’s cause of death was choking with food bolus.
The coroner’s office says the Wednesday lunch menu included meat balls. Two adults were caring for the child along with ten other children in the toddler room of the day care facility.
The daycare attempted CPR and the Heimlich maneuver on the child before deputies and EMS arrived.
Alongio was taken by EMS to the Pediatric Emergency Room of the Children’s Hospital at Greenville Memorial Hospital.
The child was pronounced dead there just before noon Wednesday.