CHESNEE, SC (WSPA) – According to DHEC, five people have been potentially exposed to rabies by a puppy that tested positive near Chesnee.
DHEC is recommending anyone who obtained or was exposed to a puppy there to watch the animal for signs and symptoms of rabies and immediately seek veterinary care of the dog becomes ill.
If you believe you bought any of these puppies and it died or you don’t have it anymore, please contact your health care provider about possible exposure to rabies.
The people who were potentially exposed were either bitten, scratched, or were caring for the dog. The puppy showed symptoms at the end of July and was submitted to DHEC for testing on August 1st and was confirmed to have rabies the next day.
Some signs and symptoms of rabies include lethargy, fever, vomiting, weakness, not wanting to eat, aggression, abnormal behavior, difficulty walking, difficulty breathing, and difficulty swallowing.
This is the fourth animal in Spartanburg County to test positive for rabies in 2016. There were five rabies cases in Spartanburg County during all of 2015.