Woman’s cell phone battery explodes on bed

(City of Cedar Rapids)

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KWQC) – Patricia Dampier was taking a nap last Friday, August 26, 2016 when her mom called.

When Dampier tried to answer, she noticed something was wrong with her phone because the screen was frozen.

She put the phone down on her bed and says seconds later it exploded and began smoking, damaging her sheets and mattress.

“They are fortunate that this didn’t occur at night or when the phone was placed on other combustible materials,” says City of Cedar Rapids spokesperson Greg Buelow.

Firefighters and police officers responded to Dampier’s home to assess the damage.

“It appears the battery exploded,” Buelow says.

Buelow says it was an HTC phone.

The New York Police Department this past February issued a warning to never leave a cellphone near or on bedding because of the fire risk.

The NYPD warned specifically against putting cellphones under pillows while sleeping or when charging.

Facebook is changing find out how to get 7News in your newsfeed

More stories you may like on 7News

Snow falls in Upstate and WNC

Snow is falling across the region and is expected to stick to surfaces as temperatures continue dropping.

Racist flyers found in USC buildings

Several racist flyers were found in several buildings at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, according to the school.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s