(WTNH)– On Monday, September 5, 2016 Labor Day is being celebrated in the United States by families around the country. Sporting-events, barbecues, picnics, beach days and more. There’s a lot of interesting facts about the federal holiday that you might not know.
10 Random Facts About Labor Day:
- Oregon became the first state to make Labor Day a legal holiday in 1887.
- The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City, declared by President Grover Cleveland.
- In 1872, Canada was the first to celebrate Labor Day a decade before the United States!
- Nobody actually knows who started Labor Day. There are two different beliefs on who actually founded Labor Day. Some say Peter McGuire, the general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, while others say Matthew Maguire a machinist.
- Many other countries celebrate May Day which is very similar to U.S. Labor Day.
- The “you can’t wear white clothes after Labor day” is actually symbolic to uniforms that were worn then.
- In 1916, the 8 hour work day was established by the Adamson Act.
- The first Labor Day parade was to protest bad working conditions and long 16-hour work days.
- In the late 1800s children as young as 6 years old worked in mines and factories. Today, the general rule sets 14 years as the minimum age for employment.
- Labor Day signifies the end of summer, beginning of school and start of football season.
More stories you may like on 7News
Ray Tanner wrote a letter to Gamecock fans about problems encountered during the season home opening game at Williams-Brice Stadium.
GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) – Hispanic Heritage Month is in full swing across the country. The annual celebration honors generations of Hispanic A…
A Spartanburg County man reported missing was found dead in the parking lot of a Greenville business on Monday night.
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (WSPA) – As many in the Caribbean wait for Hurricane Maria’s arrival, one Upstate woman is giving us a better idea of what…
“Pupilscreen” shows pupil reaction in brain trauma victims is different than that of healthy people