CHARLOTTE, NC (WSPA) – Court documents say the black man killed by Charlotte police had a restraining order filed against him a year ago after he threatened to kill his wife and her son with a gun.
The documents were obtained Tuesday and show that Keith Scott’s wife filed the order on Oct. 5. She said that law enforcement officers who encounter him should be aware that he is armed and “carries a 9mm black” gun.
Police have said Scott was armed with a handgun when they approached him at an apartment complex last week. Officers say they told Scott repeatedly to drop the weapon and he was shot to death when he didn’t follow their orders.
Scott’s family has said that he was not armed. Videos released by police and the family are inconclusive, and state authorities are investigating.