Cigarette started house fire that killed woman, says Anderson Co. coroner

ANDERSON, SC (WSPA)— A woman has died in an early morning house fire in Anderson County that the coroner believes was caused by a cigarette.

It happened on Gibson Road around 4:30 Wednesday morning.

We’re told the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived on the scene. They got the fire out in about ten minutes and found 62-year-old Joyce Adams in the dining room area.

The coroner says the fire appears to have started on the bed from a cigarette.

The woman’s family told firefighters that she was a heavy smoker.

We’re told she and her husband were just in a motor vehicle accident last week and that her husband is still in AnMed.

He has been notified of his wife’s death.

Three fire departments responded to the scene: Zion, Pendleton, and Sandy Springs fire departments.

The coroner believes the fire was an accident.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s