WAYNESVILLE, NC (WSPA) – A child was taken to the hospital after an firework explosion in Haywood County, according to deputies.
The sheriff’s office says emergency crews responded to a reported explosion around 4:30 p.m. Monday on Zurich Lane.
Deputies say the caller said an explosive device detonated near the child who was taken to a hospital.
The investigation later determined that they were consumer grade fireworks.
Family was hoping he will be home from the hospital soon.
While deputies were securing the area, a nearby house became engulfed in flames and more fire departments were called to the scene to assist.
Deputies are still investigating if there’s a connection between injuries and house fire.
Authorities think the child was hurt by commercial fireworks. As of Monday night, it was unknown if the two incidents are related.
Haywood County Sheriff’s Office served a meal to the family who lost their home and provided shelter
Haywood Christian Ministries and the Red Cross are working with the family now.