BAT CAVE, NC (WSPA) – Some residents of Bat Cave are being warned about a fire just a quarter mile from the Shumont Road area.
The Henderson County Sheriff’s Office is urging residents to be ready to evacuate in case it becomes necessary.
Residents should keep an eye on local news and updates from the Sheriff’s Office.
If evacuations are required, there are shelters in two locations:
· Bills Creek Baptist Church – 1475 Bills Creek Road, Lake Lure, NC
· Greenhill Baptist Church – 1941 US64-74A, Rutherfordton, NC
They also ask to please follow these safety tips (from Ready.gov) in preparation for a possible evacuation:
- Plan places where your family will meet, both within and outside of your immediate neighborhood.
- If you have a car, keep a full tank of gas in it if an evacuation seems likely. Keep a half tank of gas in it at all times in case of an unexpected need to evacuate. Gas stations may be closed during emergencies and unable to pump gas during power outages. Plan to take one car per family to reduce congestion and delay.
- Become familiar with alternate routes and other means of transportation out of your area. Choose several destinations in different directions so you have options in an emergency.
- Leave early enough to avoid being trapped by severe weather.
- Follow recommended evacuation routes. Do not take shortcuts; they may be blocked.
- Be alert for road hazards such as washed-out roads or bridges and downed power lines. Do not drive into flooded areas.
- If you do not have a car, plan how you will leave if you have to. Make arrangements with family, friends or your local government.
- Listen to a battery-powered radio and follow local evacuation instructions.