Charleston, S.C. – Michael Buchanan scored over 20 points for the second straight game as the USC Upstate men’s basketball team fell to the College of Charleston Cougars 72-60 in non-conference play Sunday afternoon inside TD Arena.
The Spartans fall to 3-3 on the season while College of Charleston improves to 4-3 overall.
Buchanan was one of two Upstate players to finish in double-figures after scoring a game-high 21 points. Ramel Thompkins was also in double-digits for the second consecutive game with 10 points. Joe Chealey tallied a team-high 17 points to lead the Cougars offensively.
- College of Charleston opened the game on a 9-2 run covering the first four minutes and led by seven with 16:19 left on a layup by Nick Harris.
- Following the under-16 media timeout, Buchanan came off the bench to score six straight points to cut the Spartans deficit down to one, 9-8, just over two minutes later. Buchanan would keep Upstate within two at the 12:06 mark when his dunk made the score 12-10.
- A 15-2 run by the Cougars that lasted almost five minutes gave them their largest lead of the game at 27-12 on Chealey’s field goal.
- The Spartans cut the lead down to 34-26 heading into halftime when Malik Moore connected on a 3-pointer with 33 seconds remaining.
- Upstate came out quickly to begin the second half and out-scored College of Charleston 11-7 in the first five minutes and trailed 41-37 following a layup from Philip Whittington.
- The Cougars responded to go back ahead by 10 points, but the Spartans managed to make it a 57-53 contest late in the half as Buchanan’s jumper put them down four as the game approached the six-minute mark.
- College of Charleston went back ahead by 11 points, 64-53, courtesy of a 7-0 run capped by Harris’ dunk with 3:17 left.
- After Thompkins and Deion Holmes recorded five straight points for Upstate, the Cougars finished the game on an 8-2 run to put the final score at 72-60.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 44.4% (24-of-54) from the field and held a 30-15 advantage in points from the bench. Both teams registered 32 points in the paint.
- Buchanan concluded the game shooting 9-of-11 from the field while pulling down a team-high six rebounds.
- Thompkins added five rebounds along with Holmes and Mike Cunningham. Cunningham and Moore also dished out three assists each.
- Josh Cuthbertson contributed a team-leading four assists for Upstate.
- Chealey’s 17 points was one of three double-figure scoring performances for College of Charleston as Harris had 16 and Jarrell Brantley 11. Brantley compiled a double-double after grabbing 11 rebounds on the defensive side.
- Cameron Johnson led all players with five assists and three steals.
- The Spartans continue their road trip on Tuesday, Nov. 29 when they travel to take on the Auburn Tigers at 8 p.m. EST