Church fire started from blowtorch during renovation in Simpsonville

SIMPSONVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) – Firefighters are battling flames at Advent United Methodist Church that the pastor says may have started from a blowtorch.

According to the pastor, construction crews had a spark from a blowtorch and thought they put it out, but he says they believe it started the fire.

It started around 12:45pm at 2258 Woodruff Road in Simpsonville.

Woodruff Road is now back open.

Boiling Springs Fire, Clear Spring Fire, City of Mauldin Fire and Pelham-Bateville fire departments are all on the scene.

Pelham-Batesville Fire chief Phill Jolley says the fire got into the attic quickly which makes it hard to get to. He also said that the construction crew left for lunch thinking the sparks were put out, but when they returned there was flames.

One firefighter was treated for exhaustion and another for dehydration, but both are doing okay.

The fire is 90% contained but crews could be on the scene until 10 p.m. Wednesday.

fire-1 fire-2 fire-3 fire-4 fire-5

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s