Montgomery Building fire caused by construction accident

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (WSPA) – Several fire crews responded to a fire at the Montgomery Building at the corner of St. John Street and N. Church Street, according to Spartanburg County dispatch.

Spartanburg, Westview Fairforest, and Hilltop Fire Departments responded to the scene.

The fire started in the walls between the 2nd and 3rd floor, according to the Spartanburg City Fire Department.

Construction workers were cutting and removing pipe in the basement 1-2 hours prior to the fire, the department says.

They say this included cutting a large ventilation duct in the basement.

The fire started in the duct and spread from the basement to the third-floor roof, above the old projection room.

The fire was considered accidental from the cutting of the duct work.

The Montgomery Building is supposed to be under renovation soon.

The plans for the building include retail, dining, and apartments.

More stories you may like on 7News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s