McDOWELL Co., NC (WSPA) – The McDowell Co. Sheriff’s Office says con artists are claiming to be tax collectors and targeting residents.
They say people are getting calls from scammers claiming they are from the IRS.
The scammers are saying the person owes money and gives them instructions how to pay and threatening that if they don’t pay a warrant will be issued for their arrest.
The IRS does business through the mail, never over the phone.
You should ignore the calls and don’t sen money or give them any personal information.
Anyone with questions or concerns can call the Sheriff’s Office at 652-2235. To report an IRS scam, call (800) 366-4484.
1. Call to demand immediate payment, nor will we call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
2. Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
3. Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
4. Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
5. Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.