NILES, Mich. (AP) — Authorities in southwestern Michigan have identified a 13-year-old boy who died after a carbon monoxide leak in a hotel pool area that also sickened about a dozen people.
Employees at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles called 911 around 10 a.m. Saturday after seeing six unresponsive children on the pool deck. Police say a seventh child was found unresponsive in a first-floor room.
Police Chief Jim Millin says Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. Millin says responding officers administered chest compressions to some children and helped get the affected kids into awaiting ambulances.
Authorities say an elevated level of carbon monoxide was detected in the pool area, with higher levels recorded in the pool maintenance room.
Choice Hotels, which owns Quality Inn, said in a statement that its thoughts were with the affected families, and that this “isolated incident” occurred at an independently-owned franchise.
More stories you may like on 7News
A man was sentenced to 50 years in prison for a murder and kidnapping in Walhalla in January 2015.
ANDERSON, SC (WSPA) – The city of Anderson is making economic development a top priority and offering new incentives for businesses to open …
A man has been arrested on charges of Conspiracy to Commit a First Degree Statutory Sex Offense in Hendersonville.
A Riverside High School student has spent the past two years in the hospital fighting for her life. Now, she’s using her diagnosis to help o…
Police released a sketch of a man they say robbed a business at gunpoint on Southport Road in Spartanburg on October 12.