GREENSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — Two sisters from High Point have pleaded guilty to using funds from the government’s SNAP welfare program to buy food for their restaurant.
The two admitted to conspiracy to defraud the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which was formerly the Food Stamp Program, by using other people’s benefit cards to buy food at local grocery stores, federal prosecutors said.
A November search of Becky and Mary’s Restuarant, owned by Rebecca Ingram and Mary Frances Ingram, found 21 such cards — none of which belonged to the Ingrams — and a notebook containing names, card numbers and PINs, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of North Carolina.
An investigation showed that the Ingrams and others used more than 180 different cards to buy food for the restaurant, prosecutors said.
The soul food restaurant was featured in a lengthy Dec. 2010 article of Our State magazine.
“In exchange, EBT recipients were paid a reduced amount in cash for use of their cards,” said Karen Citizen-Wilcox, special agent-in-charge with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Office of the Inspector General.
The two are due to be sentenced Aug. 22.
More stories you may like on 7News
GREENVILLE, S.C.(WSPA) – Greenville’s first republican mayor has died. Former mayor R. Cooper White was 90 when he died on Saturday. He was…
McDonald’s says they are hosting a Hiring Day even on Tuesday April 25.
Deputies say a man broke in to a Union County house and vandalized it before severely beating the owner when she came home, Sunday.
The victim is a 67-year-old man who had been hit in the head several times and strangled.
Some people are getting creative trying to convince the state Senate and Governor McMaster to pass and sign a roads bill. A former gubernato…