GREENWOOD, SC (WSPA) – The family of a 10-year-old girl bitten by a venomous snake tells us she is recovering and could be released Thursday morning.
Dixie Barnett was bitten on her foot as she was walking a dog outside of her Greenwood home Tuesday night. Her father tells 7 News that Dixie accidentally stepped on the snake. She was airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital for treatment and spent hours in intensive care.
Jake Barnett, Dixie’s father, said her foot began to swell and change color because of the bite.
“It didn’t look that bad really at first and then as time progressed, it just started turning black the whole foot,” Jake Barnett said.
A reptile curator with the Greenville Zoo said it could have been a copperhead or rattlesnake that bit Dixie since those are the only venomous snakes native to the Upstate.