Seneca man dies after being run over, dragged 1,600 feet by wife

Taylor Bright
Taylor Bright

OCONEE Co., S.C. (WSPA) – Authorities say a man is dead after he was run over by his wife and then dragged down the street.

It happened Thursday night near the couple’s home on South Townville Street in Seneca.

Oconee County Coroner Karl Addis identified the victim as John Bright.

The 25-year-old man’s body was dragged by a pickup truck north on South Townville Street after he was hit at or near his driveway to South Seventh Street and to South Fairplay Street, Addis said in a news release.

He later died at the scene from multiple injuries.

His death is under investigation by the Seneca Police Department and S.C. Highway Patrol.

According to an incident report, his wife, Taylor Louise Bright, 22, told police that she and her husband were at a home in the 700 block of South Townville Street when a domestic incident occurred.

She said she had left the home driving the truck with their daughter inside, and said when she left her husband was outside of the truck.

Taylor Bright said after she turned the vehicle onto South Fairplay Street, she noticed that the truck wasn’t working correctly, so she stopped the truck and said that’s when she found him underneath the vehicle.

According to her arrest warrant, the suspect hit her husband with the front of her vehicle —  a 2005 Dodge Ram — and he then became trapped underneath the vehicle.

The warrant indicated that she then reportedly dragged him 1,600 feet.

Officers conducted a field sobriety test on the suspect, and during the test she reportedly admitted to smoking marijuana that day, as well as consuming four beers at a friend’s house.

According to the report, officers smelled alcohol coming from her and she was arrested.

She faces charges of reckless vehicular homicide and felony driving under the influence.

Taylor Bright was taken to the Oconee County Detention Center.

According to the Seneca Police, a bond hearing for Taylor Bright has been scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday in Seneca Municipal Court.

The victim’s death has now been classified as a homicide, according to the coroner’s office.